About Brockport's Western Europe: A Documentation of Culture Summer Program
Examines the culture and customs of Western European countries and involves traveling to the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, France and Spain. This 22-day European tour explores the range of activities, beliefs, behaviors and ideas of groups of people with shared traditions including social customs, leisure activities, dress, celebrations, foods and rituals.
The Brockport International Study of Culture and Customs Program offers you the opportunity to:
- Understand how culture creates and transforms individual experiences, everyday community life, and social relations,
- Identify comparisons between US and European lifestyle focusing on attitudes, values, behaviors, celebrations and rituals,
- Understand the historical events that shaped each unique culture,
- Learn about the Arts and architecture that are unique each Western European country,
- Promote cultural competence though interacting with individuals from different cultures,
- Enhance the ability to make observation, analyze situations and form a perspective using critical thinking skills and document finding effectively.
For more information, contact the program's faculty leaders: Professor Heather Jones, email@example.com, or Professor Josephine Kearney, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housing & Orientation
All accommodation costs are included in the program fee.
Total Program Cost for Summer 2015 Western Europe: $6,200.00 (est.)
Western Europe Sum 15 EST.pdf
Does Not Include:
- Program Acceptance Fee
- SUNY Tuition (6 Credits)
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- Round-trip Flight
- Program Activities and Transportation
- Some Meals
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services, including the presence of a Brockport Faculty Director.
- Campus Specific Fees (i.e. College Fee, Technology Fee)*
- Health Insurance**
- Additional Meals
- Text Books and Supplies
- Miscellaneous Expenses
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
Financial Aid applies towards tuition and fees
*Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
**The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
Students will earn 6 credit hours.
Summer Tour; June 9- June 25, 2015
Day 1 Start Tour
Day 2 Ciao Venice
Meet your Tour Director, travel to Venice & check into hotel. Dinner en route to
Venice and city walking tour
Day 3 Venice landmarks
Venice guided walking sightseeing tour with Whisper headsets: St. Mark’s Square,
Basilica di San Marco, Doge's Palace visit, Glass-blowing demonstration, Lace
Day 4 Venice—Florence
Travel to Florence › Florence city walk › Accademia visit
Day 5 Florence Landmarks
Uffizi Gallery visit › Villa Medici visit
Day 6 Florence--Rome
Travel to Rome and Colosseum guided visit
Day 7 Rome—Barcelona
Vatican City guided walking sightseeing tour with Whisper headsets: Vatican
Museums & Sistine Chapel visit, St. Peter’s Basilica visit. Overnight ferry to
Day 8 Barcelona
Barcelona City Walk: Mercat de la Boquería, Las Ramblas, Columbus Monument
Day 9 Barcelona
Barcelona Guided Sightseeing Tour: Gaudí’s Sagrada Familia, Montjuïc Hill,
Parque Guell and Flamenco evening
Day 10 Barcelona
Picasso Museum visit
Salvador Dalí Theater Museum visit
Day 11 Barcelona—Paris
Train to Paris and Paris city walk: Ile de la Cité, Notre Dame
Cathedral visit, Ile St. Louis, Latin Quarter visit . Eiffel Tower ascent and Moulin
Rouge Cabaret tour.
Day 12 Paris
Paris guided sightseeing tour: Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Élysées, Eiffel Tower,
Champ de Mars, École Militaire, Les Invalides, Conciergerie, Tuileries, Place
Vendôme, Opera House, Versailles guided excursion: State Apartments, Hall of
Mirrors, Gardens of Versailles, Louvre Museum
Day 13 Paris—Bruges
Travel to Bruges
Climb the Belfry Tower › Rozenhoedkaai
Day 14 Bruges—Amsterdam
Travel to Amsterdam › Amsterdam city walk
Day 15 Amsterdam
Amsterdam Tour Director-led sightseeing tour: Canal guided cruise, Diamond
factory visit, Anne Frank House visit and Van Gogh Museum visit
Day 16 Amsterdam
Red Light District walking tour › Vondelpark visit
Day 17 End Tour and travel home