About New Zealand: Massey University: Summer Expedition and Internship
Some summer study abroad programs take you to one place to learn in a classroom. The National Expedition and Internship will take you across the North and South Islands of New Zealand and place you in an internship where you have the opportunity to work on real world problems relevant to your degree. The key components of this program, which is unlike any other in New Zealand, are a two-week study tour starting in June and a four-week internship. Four program tracks, covering a wide range of majors, are available. You’ll travel through some of the planet’s most spectacular scenery, immerse yourself in Kiwi culture, and see parts of New Zealand open only to locals, all while earning half a semester’s worth of credit toward your degree.
Having international experience can make an impressive difference in your resume or graduate school application, even if you never plan on living outside your home country. Businesses and companies look for applicants with a global mindset to work with their culturally-diverse employees and overseas clients. This foreign internship will set you apart from the masses and benefit you throughout your career.
Brockport Program with Massey University Expedition and Internship offers you the opportunity to:
• Live and learn in one of the world's most rewarding and beautiful educational environments,
• Explore the breathtaking landscape of New Zealand's North and South Islands,
• Choose from four different internship tracks and complete a four-week professional internship,
• Improve your professional work skills,
• Earn between six and eight U.S. upper-division credits.
Your experience with Massey University will:
• Introduce you to typical New Zealand society and their educational system,
• Make you a better student,
• Expand your outlook on the world,
• Build your self-esteem and self-confidence,
• Enhance your career prospects
Housing & Orientation
For the first two weeks (National Expedition), students will be staying in hostels at each overnight location. Accommodation is included in the cost of the program and will therefore be arranged on your behalf. For the last four weeks (Internship Placement), students will be staying in a backpacker-style hostel with other interns in their internship city. The Agriculture and Environment Internship will be located in the Hawke's Bay region near Napier. All other Internships will be located in Wellington.
There will be a Pre-Departure Orientation at Brockport in May which will cover general information about going abroad as well as information about health/safety, insurance, etc. If you are a non-Brockport student, an electronic version of the orientation will be provided to you. There will also be an online Pre-Departure orientation provided by Massey. Both orientations will be very important in understanding the extent of the program.
Cost for Brockport's New Zealand: Massey University- Summer Expedition and Internship Program
Undergraduate Summer Program Cost: $6,783.10 (Estimated Cost - 8 Undergraduate credits)
Does Not Include:
- Program Acceptance Fee
- Tuition (8 Credits)
- New Zealand Health and Travel Insurance
- Course-related activities and excursions
- Programme welcome and farewell dinner
- Breakfasts during the National Expedition
- Online Pre-Departure Orientation
- Pre-Departure Orientation materials
- Airport pick-up
- Internship placement
- Internet access during Internship
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services
- Various campus-specific fees* (college fee, technology fee, etc.)
- SUNY International Health Insurance**
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences, and etc.
- Most Meals
- Roundtrip Airfare to/from New Zealand
- Local travel (during internship)
- Miscellaneous Personal Expenses
Financial aid applies towards fees. Please be sure to check with your Financial Aid Office at your home institution. If applying or receiving financial aid, you will need to give the Financial Aid Office (at your home school) a copy of your acceptance letter and budget sheet.
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
The cost (and items included in the cost) as listed on the website are subject to change and should be considered estimates. Final budget sheets will be emailed to the student prior to departure and usually upon acceptance.
Each National Expedition and Internship track has a unique focus, with various dates and itineraries. The entry requirements are the same for all tracks. For more information about the National Expedition and Internship program and the four different program tracks that are available for you to choose from, please visit Massey's website at http://massey.ac.nz/explorenz
IMPORTANT: Please view the 2018 Expedition Internship brochure which details each program/internship option here: Internship Brochure
Review the specific dates for each program above. There are different program dates for each program track, but each program will amount to six weeks (two-week expedition and four-week internship).
Important Note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.